From the Daily Herald, Bomb scare brings misdemeanor charge.

All was quiet at Schaumburg High School on Friday, one day after a 16-year-old student was charged with one count of misdemeanor disorderly conduct for reportedly making a bomb threat that caused the school’s early dismissal on Thursday.

Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 spokesman Tom Petersen said all five District 211 high schools had a visible police presence Friday, the eighth anniversary of the Columbine shooting spree in Colorado, but there were no incidents.

Teenager charged in Schaumburg High School bomb scare.

A 16-year-old student at Schaumburg High School has been charged with one misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct, accused of making a bomb threat that caused the evacuation of the high school Thursday.

Schaumburg police said today they saw nothing at the high school or at the boy’s home that would indicate he had the means to actually make a bomb.

This incident near the anniversary of the Columbine shooting spree reminds us all of the problem of copycat crimes…it was upsetting to me and many others last week when the national news media splashed innumerable images and photos of the Virginia Tech killer all over the airwaves. For someone who thinks that way, that kind of coverage is a positive reward for committing mayhem and murder. I believe our local media and the school administration handled the Schaumburg situation–which may itself have been related in a copycat way to the Columbine anniversary–with restraint and dignity.

A Schaumburg student posts about the incident.

Online thoughts from another Schaumburg student.

Another student’s online reflections.

Advertisements